Five Essential Steps to Reduce Toxins in Your Environment:
Step One of the RENEW detox program is to reduce toxins in your environment. This requires you to audit your environment to identify potential sources of silent toxins you may be exposing yourself to.
Follow these simple steps:
1. Install air filters or make sure your HVAC filters in your home are effective in filtering your air. If you suffer from allergies it is most important to get an air purifier.
Most particles in the air are .3 microns or smaller. To give you an idea of how small that is the head of a pin is 2,000 microns. So the toxins getting into your body are 6,000 times smaller than the head of a pin. A good air purfier like a HEPA filter is essential if you suffer from allergies.
Another way to support good air quality in your home is the use of green plants around the house. Some beneficial ones are spider plants, aloe vera, Gerber daisies, fern, ivy and philodendroms. Living plants also provide beauty to your environment while adding pure oxygen to the air.
2. Buy water filters Use an RO system on your main faucet in the kitchen and purchase shower head filters for each shower.
You can test your water if you are concerned. Contact the NRDC What’s on Tap? At www.nrdc.org. You can also get a lead test for about $25.00.
It is necessary to understand the type of water filters (besides the RO suggested above). Most generic filters will filter out large dirt particles and bacteria. Pesticides and herbicides are the smallest among prominent contaminants, requiring filters that catch impurities at the sub micron level. The NSF certification is not perfect but a place to start with water purification.
4. Ditch toxic household products Go room to room and replace them with natural non-toxic alternatives. Replace with environmentally friendly products you purchase or make your own. Here is my list of the Ten Most Toxic Substances
Ten Toxins To Remove From Your Environment
- Methyl, propyl, butyl and ethyl paraben. Commonly used in household products to help extend the shelf life and prevent microbial growth.
- Diethanolamine (DEA), triethanolamine (TEA). As emulsifiers and/or foam agents, these villians can also cause allergic reactions, eye irritations and dryness of hair and skin.
- Diazolidinyl urea, imidazolidinyl urea. Widely used preservatives are blamed for contact dermanitis.
- Sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate. Cheap, harsh detergent used in shampoos. Can cause eye irritatin, scalp scurf, skin rashes and other allergic reactions.
- Petrolatum. Used in cosmetics but has no nutrient value for the skin. It can cause dryness and chapping.
- Propylene glycol. Known to have caused allergic reactions, hives and eczema. This synthetic petrochemical mix is listed as PEG or PPG on labels
- PVP/VA copolymer. Petroleum-derived chemical used in hair sprays and other cosmetics. When inhaled, it can be damaging to the lungs of people with breathing disorders.
- Stearaklonium chloride. Ammonium compound used in hair conditioners and creams. Can cause allergic reactions.
- Synthetic colors. These should be avoided at all costs. Some examples of these include FD&C Red No 6, D&C Green No. 6. Many synthetic colors can be carcinogenic.
- Synthetic fragrances. Used in cosmetics and can have hundreds of ingredients that are not listed on labels. Some problems known to be caused by synthetic fragrances include headaches, dizzinesss, rash, hyperpigmentation, violent coughing, vomiting, skin irritation.
Check your personal care products for any of these toxins and replace them with natural solutions. Also, check your bedding and replace with organic cotton sheets and non toxic flame retardants. Use hypoallergenic pillows and replace your mattress with a natural one or use a cotton cover that helps prevent the out gassing from the mattress.
Change your light bulbs to full spectrum lighting.
Use Eco Friendly Garden and Pest Control.
4. Eat organic as much as possible. Beware of GMO foods and switch to non-toxic cookware.
5. Enhance digestion with digestive enzymes and probiotics to keep your gut from producing toxic by products from the foods you are not digesting.
Completing this audit is an important first step in your total detox program. Once you’ve cleaned your environment, you’ll be ready to cleanse your body from within. I have included all the products you’ll need for your total body detox program here.
Next week – your next step in the RENEW detox program – Eliminate!