“Renew You” Challenge – Here it comes, the dreaded question… how good is your diet??? No, not your weight loss plan—I mean the food you eat every day!
Most of the time we don’t even think about it, but the truth is that our diets reveal a lot about our overall health. Not only that, but a diet that we think is healthy might actually be anything but. For example, you might eat a wholesome salad with grilled salmon for dinner, but what about the breakfast you skipped or the drive-thru burger you had for lunch?
Now believe me, I know nobody’s perfect, which is why I recommend becoming a diet detective! Starting today, write down everything you eat and drink for a whole week, and at the end of the week you’ll be able to reevaluate your diet and see what changes you need to make!
Ready to start investigating your eating habits? Here are a few things to consider to help you on your way:
- Did you eat enough fiber? I recommend 35+ grams daily!
- Are the carbohydrates that you eat complex or refined?
- Did you eat enough protein? How about Omega-3s?
- Did you eat a variety of fruits and vegetables?
- Did you drink at least half your weight in ounces of water each day?
- How many times did you eat something you probably shouldn’t have?
Also, be sure to keep track of any digestive issues you might have—like heartburn, gas and bloating, or even constipation. And write down any changes in your mood or energy level during the day. Do any of these changes seem to be affected by your diet?
Being a diet detective can tell us a lot of things about our health, so start sleuthing and have fun—I can’t wait to hear your results!