Notable News – This story really shocked me, so listen up ladies! Even though your lips may be one of the last places you’d expect to find toxic metals, a new FDA study might have you thinking twice before you apply your favorite shade.

Experts recently retested 20 different lipsticks first tested in 2007, and guess what they found? Even higher levels of lead than in the previous study. I don’t know about you, but it sounds to me like that’s a little backwards!

On average, the lipsticks contained 1.07 parts per million (ppm) of lead, which is 10 times more than the FDA-recommended limit for candy… but the FDA claims that because lipstick isn’t ingested, there is no comparison. What?! Who says lipstick isn’t ingested?? And if that’s what they’re basing their recommendations on, doesn’t it make you wonder about all the other sources of lead we might be exposed to without even knowing it?

Now, I’ve seen several reports on this subject, and in every one they downplay the risk—well I say no way! Lead is a potent neurotoxin, which means it can cause serious damage to the brain. Not only that, but it can be stored in the body (especially the bones) for years. So do your research and make sure the lipstick you use isn’t one of the ones that were tested, and when you’re shopping for lipstick or any cosmetics, always choose a responsible company. Come to think of it, that’s good advice for all products!